Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Update

Well....Aubrey turned 4 in May...I can't believe my baby isn't a baby anymore! She decided for her #4 birthday she wanted a Tinker Bell party and on her #5 birthday she wanted a Princess party.......she is so funny and definitely my daughter......already planning things out ahead of time. She got lots of new toys with teeny tiny pieces.....Woohoo....I love those kind! LOL 


Aubrey's surgery date has changed from September 8th to September 22nd because I realized that school started on September 7th. We originally scheduled Aubrey's surgery in September instead of during the summer because Brad was changing positions at work and we thought he would be in training until around then (as it turns out he wasn't in training as long as we thought) and I thought school would be starting in August so my plan was for them to go for a couple of weeks before she had her surgery. I didn't want the kids to miss their first day of school so I called to reschedule hoping to move it up to August.....no luck Dr Paley was booked....so we settled for September 22nd.

When trying to decide when to reschedule I called to talk to Caroline (super sweet lady at Paley's office) about Aubrey's recovery time and found out that she will be in a fixator for 3-4 months instead of the 6 weeks we had anticipated. I was pretty bummed but I guess it will be good practice for when she has to wear it for 8 months. The good news about having a fixator instead of a spica cast is she will be walking within 3 weeks instead of 6 weeks of no weight bearing.
I have been quite emotional the past couple of months thinking about what lies ahead....I think partly because of Abby & "little" Ethan (some of our PFFD friends) having their hip surgeries just a few weeks ago. When someone you know is going through something you are about to go through it really hits home. (They are also seeing Dr Paley and they live in the Dallas area so they're just a couple hours away from us.)  I'm so thankful to have found such great families to connect with. They have been such a blessing & strength to me.




Abby 2 weeks after hip surgery

"little" Ethan at our last play day


We had our 6 month appointment with Scottish Rite last week. I was a little nervous about it because I knew we were going to have to tell the doctor that we had Aubrey scheduled for hip surgery (He is the one that told us we needed to rethink it and that the surgery wouldn't help) I was surprised at his reaction when I told him, I thought he would try to talk us out of it but he just said " I still don't think surgery will help her hip and that rotation or amputation is the best options, but I respect your choice and we will help along the way however we can." I'm curious to see what he has to say about her hip after she has surgery. 

While we were at Scottish Rite we had Steve look at her prosthesis for adjustments.....she was desperately needing some new straps (hers were looking quite dingy) and she already needed length added to it. We were hoping to get a new foot put on so she could wear flip flops (the feet that have a split toe are a different brand and they don't make them in really small sizes) but her feet still weren't big enough......maybe next year.

Yesterday we went for our 4 year old well check up. She had to get shots...I thought it might give us an idea of how she would be in September....she did really good. On the last one she cried but the nurse said that that particular shot did hurt going in. So maybe she will do good in September with her IV and all the other pricks and pokes she will get. We had a talk about it last night. I told her she was going to have more shots when she had her surgery in Florida and she seemed to be ok with it. She told me that when she got to be a big girl she wouldn't cry. I told her that it was ok to cry but she just needed to be really still so that it didn't hurt even more. So we will see.

We are excited & nervous about the upcoming surgery but ready to get it behind us.

Well I think that's all the news for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment